TL-R1200S-RP Rackmount JBOD storage enclosure allows you to back up and expand your QNAP NAS, Windows® and Ubuntu® computers and servers. Features twelve 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s drive bays, the TL-R1200S-RP comes with a QXP PCIe card for connecting the enclosure using a SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) cable. It provides reliable read/write performance for smooth storage and backup tasks.
1. QNAP recommends following the standard procedure for connecting or disconnecting the TL-R1200S-RP. For more information, please see the TL-R1200S-RP user manual.
2. The TL-R1200S-RP can only be used as an individual storage pool or volume on the NAS. Its storage pool or volume cannot be combined into the connected NAS. NAS applications cannot be installed on the TL-R1200S-RP.
3. The TL-R1200S-RP only supports QNAP NAS running on QTS 4.5.4 (or above) or QuTS hero h4.5.4 operating system.
4. Users can purchase the optional RAIL-B02 rail kit to deploy the TL-R1200S-RP in a 19-inch rack following the ANSI/EIA-RS-310-D standard.
High-capacity TL SATA JBOD not only can expand NAS storage, but also Windows® and Ubuntu® computers and servers.
SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) connection cable supports four SATA 6Gb/s channels per cable (24Gb/s in total) and provides faster data transfer speeds than eSATA and USB.
The 250W redundant power supply can ensure maximum system uptime.
High-performing TL SATA JBOD
The TL SATA JBOD supports multi-lane SATA 6Gb/s transfer, and each SATA lane directly connects to a single SATA drive to help improve performance. With the 1-1 high-speed channel, the TL SATA JBOD delivers excellent transfer performance.
Flexible Storage Configuration and Management
The TL-R1200S-RP provides software-controlled storage configuration for greater management flexibility. You can configure RAID and monitor JBOD enclosure and disk health with Storage & Snapshots when connected to a QTS or QuTS hero NAS, or with the QNAP JBOD Manager utility when connected to a computer.
Use the Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QuTS hero to configure the TL-R1200S-RP as a storage enclosure for your QNAP NAS. The NAS expansion storage mode supports various NAS functions, including storage pools and snapshots. With TL-R1200S-RP, you can easily expand storage capacity.
The QNAP JBOD Manager is a desktop utility for monitoring the TL-R1200S-RP on Windows® and Ubuntu® computers. You can quickly obtain disk statuses, JBOD information and health, view fan rotation speed, and check for firmware version updates.
What you need to know
You can connect your TL-R1200S-RP to Windows® and Ubuntu® computers and servers through the SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) high-speed cable and use built-in utility to manage the RAID configuration.
1. QXP series PCIe cards do not support Mac Pro.
2. If there are any unexpected boot failures during QXP PCIe cards installation on the host, please check with the host manufacturing company for any new BIOS updates. Alternatively, you can try disabling the boot from the PCIe slot function or disable the external graphics card option.
3. The TL-R1200S-RP manufactured before February 2022 comes with the QXP-1600eS SATA expansion card which requires driver installation to work with Windows/Ubuntu. The QXP-1600es Ubuntu driver currently supports Ubuntu 18.04.2/20.04.3 LTS (Kernel 3.10 ~ 5.4.0). Please go to the download center to install the driver
Intelligently Monitor JBOD Enclosure Status on PC and Servers with QNAP JBOD Manager
The QNAP JBOD Manager is a desktop utility for monitoring the TL-R1200S-RP on Windows® and Ubuntu® computers. You can quickly obtain the disk statuses, JBOD information and health, view fan rotation speed, and check for firmware version updates. All device events are recorded, and will send desktop notifications when a system alert occurs.
1. You can set up new software RAID groups in [Windows Storage Spaces] in Windows 8/10/11 (or later versions).
2. Windows Server 2012 R2 (or later version) users can set up new software RAID groups in [Server Manager].
3. Ubuntu users need to pass commands into [mdadm] to set up new software RAID groups.
4. Does not support macOS.
Flexibly Expand Connectivity with QXP PCIe Cards
Install an exclusive QXP PCIe card onto your QNAP NAS, Windows® or Ubuntu® PC and servers to connect the JBOD enclosure via SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) cable, for easy and flexible storage expansion.
1. Starting in February 2022, the package includes QXP-1600eS-A1164 expansion card (previously QXP-1600eS) and three 1M SFF-8088 to SFF-8644 cables.
2. A SATA JBOD storage enclosure can only connect to one NAS. Users can only use QNAP JBOD Manager to view statuses of devices and disks installed with QNAP expansion cards and JBODs. Users can only create single storage expansions when the QXP PCIe card is not connected to a TL SATA JBOD enclosure.
3. TL SATA JBOD storage enclosure can install different QXP PCIe cards. For example, one NAS can be matched with multiple QXP PCIe cards to connect to TL SATA JBOD storage enclosure or users can use one QXP-800eS to expand two TL-D400S (there are no quantity limits except for restrictions mentioned in the previous note).
4. The TL SATA JBOD and QXP SATA expansion card support at most 1 meter (3.28 feet) long cable.
5. The QXP-1600eS-A1164 PCIe SATA expansion card included with the TL-D1600S and TL-R1200S-RP JBOD is incompatible with some specific models. For more information, and to view a full list of compatible NAS models, visit the Storage Expansion Compatibility and Compatibility List.
6. Users of the TVS-871U-RP, TVS-1271U-RP, and x80 series NAS must update their BIOS to the minimum BIOS version. If not, unexpected boot failures might occur.
SAS/SATA 6Gb/s external cables
1-meter (3.28 ft.) SFF-8644 to SFF-8088 cable
• For QXP-1600eS-A1164, QXP-1600eS PCIe SATA card
• Support SATA 6Gb/s and SAS 6Gb/s
• Compatible with third-party SAS 6Gb/s JBOD products
Order number: CAB-SAS10M-8644-8088
1-meter (3.28 ft.) SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable
• For QXP-400eS-A1164 and QXP-800eS-A1164 PCIe SATA cards
• Support SATA 6Gb/s and SAS 6Gb/s
• Compatible with third-party SAS 6Gb/s JBOD products
*Order number: CAB-SAS10M-8088
Versatile usage scenarios to meet storage expansion needs
The TL-R1200S-RP meets many storage expansion requirements for the home and office. Below is a list of potential application scenarios:
Scenario 1: Expand your NAS capacity
The TL-R1200S-RP provides an alternative method for users to expand their NAS storage capacity. By connecting the TL-R1200S-RP to their NAS and using Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QuTS hero, users can easily configure and manage their storage expansion. The TL-R1200S-RP supports a variety of QNAP NAS storage and file management functions, allowing users to build storage pools, finding files with Qsirch, and organizing files with Qfiling.
|Function||QNAP TL-R1200S-RP||QNAP TR-004||Other external RAID/ JBOD device|
|Connection Type||SATA||USB 3.2 Gen 1||By device|
|Drive bays||12||4||By device|
|Supported systems||QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows, Linux etc...||QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows, Linux etc...||QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows, Linux etc...|
|Disk health monitoring||Supported (QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows, inux)||Supported (QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows)||Not Supported|
|Hardware RAID protection||Not Supported||Supported (QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows)||Varies by device|
|Create Storage Pool||Supported (QNAP QTS)||Supported (QNAP QTS)||Not Supported|
|RAID migration, capacity expansion||Supported (QNAP QTS/QuTS hero, Windows, Linux)||Not Supported||Varies by device|
1. The TL-R1200S-RP does not support QNAP NAS models that cannot be updated to QTS 4.4.2 (or later) and the following NAS models: TS-128, TS-228, TS-131, TS-231, TS-431, TS-431U.
2. Drives can only be migrated from one TL USB JBOD to another TL USB JBOD. Files and data stored on drives migrated to or from other JBOD devices will not be recognized.
Scenario 2: External storage for your NAS
You can use the TL-R1200S-RP to expand your NAS storage. You can select disks to create storage pools for expanding your NAS capacity, or you can treat each disk as an individual external storage space and use it as a removable drive for greater flexibility. Regardless of the mode you use, you can always use Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QuTS hero to set up and manage your TL-R1200S-RP and use hard drive S.M.A.R.T. and Notification Center to check disk status anytime and anywhere.
Mode 1: Expand NAS capacity with storage pool mode
You can use Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QuTS hero to configure the RAID storage pool for your TL-R1200S-RP and expand NAS capacity.
Note: The TL-R1200S-RP can only be used as an individual storage pool or volume on the NAS. Its storage pool or volume cannot be combined into the connected NAS. NAS applications cannot be installed on the TL-R1200S-RP.
Mode 2: Expand your NAS with external storage mode
You can treat each disk on your TL-R1200S-RP as an individual storage space and expand your NAS capacity. For example, it will show 8 independent external disks on an 8-bay NAS.
Note: The TL-R1200S-RP supports multiple disk formats, including NTFS (for Windows), HFS+ (for Mac), EXT4 (for Ubuntu or QNAP NAS), exFAT (for Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, and QNAP NAS) etc.
Scenario 3: Expand the storage space of your Windows® and Ubuntu® computers
You can use your TL-R1200S-RP with Windows® and Ubuntu® computers and servers to expand more storage space. You can set up the RAID configuration of your TL-R1200S-RP to further secure data protection. Moreover, you can also use the single disk mode and format with exFAT file system for more convenient access and sharing of files between Windows® and Ubuntu® computers.
Mode 1: RAID configuration mode
You can obtain data protection by building a software RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 5 volume with native utility in your Windows® and Ubuntu® computers, and use the QNAP JBOD Manager to monitor the TL-R1200S-RP status information.
Mode 2: Single disk mode
You can format hard drives with the exFAT file system while accessing and sharing files between Windows® and Ubuntu® computers.
Note: Your QNAP NAS can also use the exFAT file system by buying the exFAT driver license from QNAP Software Store.
Scenario 4: Third-party hardware RAID card for advanced protection
You can install third-party hardware RAID cards on your TL-R1200S-RP for advanced hardware RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, RAID 50, and RAID 60 protection and use Windows® utility software to manage your TL-R1200S-RP.
|Function||MRAID||MegaRAID Storage Manager||Storage Manager||RAID Management|
|Model||ARC-1883x||MegaRAID SAS 9286-8e (6 Gb/s)
MegaRAID SAS 9286-8e (12 Gb/s)
|SmartRAID 3154-8e||RocketRAID 3742A|
▲ Note: The third-party hardware RAID card cannot be used simultaneously with QNAP JBOD manager and QXP series PCIe cards.
TL-R1200S-RP Offers Better Performance Than Other USB and eSATA JBOD Solutions
The TL-R1200S-RP features SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) connectivity and multiple SATA 6Gb/s bays. This provides better sequential read performance and faster data transfer speeds than existing USB and eSATA expansion enclosures, while also being a more economical option compared to a QNAP REXP SAS enclosure.
Windows RAID 0
Windows RAID 5
Ubuntu RAID 0
Ubuntu RAID 0
Ubuntu RAID 5
QTS RAID 0
QTS RAID 5
Tested in QNAP Labs. Figures may vary by environment.
JBOD model: TL-R1200S-RP
Volume type: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB NAS: TS-1683XU, Intel Xeon E-2124 4.3GHz, 8GB RAM, QNAP QXP-1600eS-A1164, QTS 5.0.0 Client PC: Windows: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, QNAP QXP-1600eS-A1164, Windows Server 2016 Ubuntu: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, QNAP QXP-1600eS-A1164, Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop
Extend hardware warranty up to 5 years
The TL-R1200S-RP is backed by a 2-year warranty at no additional costs. You can purchase a warranty extension that extends your warranty coverage up to 5 years.